The Harding Township School provides an environment which is both academically challenging and developmentally responsive to the needs of our students. Our students are challenged to develop 21st century skills and an intellectual curiosity and creativity in all areas of our curriculum. We want our students to develop a commitment to service to others and a desire to assume leadership roles in an ever-changing world. It is our hope that our students use their time, talents and skills for the greater good of the environment, economy and global society.
The Harding Township School serves students in grades preK-8 from New Vernon, Green Village, and outlying areas that fall within the township's borders. The school is located on Lee's Hill Road near the historic district of the Village of New Vernon. There are two buildings situated on a picturesque 43-acre campus housing approximately 330 students. The original structure, built in 1926, has several additions and contains grades 5-8. The elementary building, built in 1969 and located just west of the Middle School, houses grades preK-4.
Our district offers a wide range of programs and services which augment our academic curriculum. These programs, serving to enrich the educational experiences of our pupils, include, but are not limited to the following:
· A comprehensive language arts program highlighted by our Reading Street curriculum.
· A math curriculum supported by Singapore math strategies.
· A fine arts program featuring instruction in the visual and performing arts.
· A new pre-school program focusing on hands-on learning activities that develop and nurture academic and social skills for our preschoolers.
· Full-day kindergarten based upon developmental principles of early childhood learning.
· A technology program that is fully integrated into the curriculum and which facilitates student use of a variety of media and technology resources for directed and independent activities. Our school is equipped with Smart Boards in every classroom, Smart Tables, Senteo clickers, a Library/Media Center, weather station and a TV studio. Our students' access to technology will be further enhanced this academic year with the opening of our new Boszhardt Family Technology Learning Commons.
· A school counselor to assist in meeting the immediate and developmental needs of all students through classroom visits, individual and group counseling, and consultation with school staff, parents, and community members.
· An interscholastic athletic program to provide team experiences for students in grades 5-8.
· A full-time nurse who provides health services and health education to our students.
· A gifted and talented/enrichment program, which offers opportunities for identified youngsters to develop their skills and talents.
· A world language program featuring instruction in Spanish, French and Mandarin.
· Physical Education activities focusing on developmental skills and individual and team activities.
· Special education programs and services fostering the inclusion of all pupils within the regular program of instruction.
· A technologically integrated speech services program.
· A comprehensive substance awareness program.
· A broad range of electives and extracurricular activities featuring band, chorus, student council, journalism, peer leadership, environmental club and musical productions.
· A Character Education program that provides students in Grades k-8 with weekly homeroom/classroom activities related to a wide range of social, emotional, and academic issues. This program helps to foster mutual respect and interpersonal skills among our students.
· A science, technology, engineering and mathematic (STEM) program for middle school students to develop skills and innovative ideas for the future.
Principal/Director of Curriculum